Yeg Honeycomb (7)
Yeg Honeycomb (7)

press to zoom
Yeg Honeycomb (5)
Yeg Honeycomb (5)

press to zoom
Yeg Honeycomb (6)
Yeg Honeycomb (6)

press to zoom
Yeg Honeycomb (7)
Yeg Honeycomb (7)

press to zoom
1/3

YEG Honeycomb manages hives in six different historic locations throughout Edmonton. Sites were chosen base on their historic significance as well as their suitability for safely hosting bees. All sites are close to Edmonton's natural areas, within an 8 km radius of Edmonton's river valley, allowing the bees to pollinate local plants and promote biodiversity. Hives are visited biweekly by the project manager and project volunteers, ensuring the health and security of the bees. 

IMG_3278.JPG
alberta-aviation-museum.jpeg

The Alberta Aviation Museum is located in Hangar 14, one of the last remaining buildings from Edmonton’s City Centre airport at Blatchford field. Initially a farmer’s field, Blatchford Field became a cornerstone of Edmonton’s long-standing relationship with Canadian aviation. In May 1926, the city’s request to establish an airport was processed and Mayor Blatchford obtained an airport license for the field. Known as License no. 72, it was the first municipal air harbor in Canada. The city later named License no. 72 Blatchford Field after Mayor K. A. Blatchford to honor his role in creating the airport. 

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association was created in 1980 and started out as a group of aviation enthusiasts. It occupied temporary spaces until 1991, when they joined with 13 other aviation groups under the umbrella of the Edmonton Aviation Heritage Society to lease Hangar 14 from the City of Edmonton. The museum opened in its new permanent home in 1992. 

bee.png

Built in 1911, John B. Mercer built this warehouse to handle his growing liquor and cigar business. John Mercer constructed what the Edmonton Bulletin touted as “one of the most modern and complete cold storage plants {…] in Alberta.” Situated as it was near the railway and close to downtown businesses like Mercer’s wholesale storefront on Jasper Avenue, this building became part of Edmonton’s early warehouse district. After a major fire in 1922, destroying the two top floors,  it was reconstructed, this time with only three storeys, but with loading bays added to the north wall.  By the 1930s a matching three-storey annex was added to the south side. After almost eighty years, the building fell into disuse, has since been rehabilitated, and now provides office space for up and coming Edmonton businesses.

Built in 1911, John B. Mercer built this warehouse to handle his growing liquor and cigar business. John Mercer constructed what the Edmonton Bulletin touted as “one of the most modern and complete cold storage plants {…] in Alberta.” Situated as it was near the railway and close to downtown businesses like Mercer’s wholesale storefront on Jasper Avenue, this building became part of Edmonton’s early warehouse district. After a major fire in 1922, destroying the two top floors,  it was reconstructed, this time with only three storeys, but with loading bays added to the north wall.  By the 1930s a matching three-storey annex was added to the south side. After almost eighty years, the building fell into disuse, has since been rehabilitated, and now provides office space for up and coming Edmonton businesses.

bee.png
20210415_110659_edited.jpg

Opened in 1923, as the "Provincial Mental Institute, Oliver". For many years, it was a World War I veterans’ hospital. The first 47 patients arrived in the summer of 1923, all were veterans of World War I who were mostly suffering from "shell shock," now known as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Located in the northeastern portion of Edmonton, today the Alberta Hospital Edmonton is a psychiatric hospital providing care through both inpatient and outpatient programs.

bee.png

The City of Edmonton has operated Old Man Creek Nursery since 1910. Currently, the nursery grows, receives, and cares for the trees, shrubs, and wildflowers that are planted by the City Operations department. This effort supports the growth and health of our urban forest canopy by providing high-quality, disease-free plant material. Annually, the nursery cares for approximately 3,000 trees, 100,000 native plants, and 3,500 shrubs. The City’s Old Man Creek Nursery is also engaged in trials to test and develop new tree species to increase the diversity of the urban forest and create a healthy and sustainable urban forest.

bee.png
seed-opening.jpeg
Grierson_Centre_edited.jpg

The Grierson Centre originally served as the North-West Mounted Police's Divisional headquarters in Edmonton upon its completion in 1912. The Grierson Centre is located at the eastern extremity of downtown Edmonton. The Grierson Centre is associated with the development of the RCMP in the 20th century. Since 1975, the building has belonged to the Department of the Solicitor General and has been used by the Correctional Service of Canada as a halfway house for paroled prisoners and for other functions of the penitentiary service. Also located in the Grierson Centre, The Stan Daniels Healing Centre offers programs to residents to address their needs in the areas of spirituality and culture, employment, education, family relationships, and personal and emotional orientation. A 72-bed Community Residential and Section 81 Healing Lodge, this Centre houses conditionally released and federally sentenced Indigenous inmates, who learn about Indigenous cultures and work with Elders.

bee.png

Built in 1966, Chancery Hall faces Sir Winston Churchill Square, and it neighbors the Francis Winspear Centre for Music and the Citadel Theatre to the south. It's straight lines and heavy use of concrete are examples of mid-century modernist design. Directly north are the graceful, swooping lines of the Art Gallery of Alberta. The building currently employs City of Edmonton employees.

bee.png
060815_Cs7bAvX2QBDQ392G_102902_edited.jp